Have you ever gone to load your kayak by yourself, only to find that it's…
Kayaking is a fun activity that anyone can get involved in. It is fun for all ages. If you have never been kayaking before, we strongly encourage you to give it a go, especially if you enjoy water sports.
However, you may be put off from the activity because you are a big guy. Whether you are quite heavy or tall, you may be nervous about kayaking.
Namely, you may be concerned that there are no products that are suited to you.
However, you need not worry. There are many types of kayaks available that will suit your needs perfectly.
We’ve got some great tips on what type of kayak would be best suited for bigger guys.
Though these kayaks are suited to heavy and tall people, they will be suitable for everyone to use. Please consider using these kayaks if you are keen to give this hobby a shot.
OUR TOP PICK
The Intex Excursion Pro fishing kayak is one of the most popular recreational tandem kayaks on the market today.
This kayak has been designed with fishermen in mind. The hull design makes it easy to maneuver and stable when paddling.
Because it is designed for fishing, it is capable of holding all the equipment you need. Consequently, it has an impressive weight capacity of 400 lbs.
This makes it a great choice for larger people, as it will be capable of holding your weight.
Though it is designed for two people, you can use it alone if you wish. If not, you can bring a lighter person with you or plenty of fishing gear. Here is what we thought about the product:
- Mounting bracket: To mount various kayaking equipment, such as a GPS device, this kayak has been fitted with mounting brackets.
- 3 ply laminate PVC: This is a super sturdy material that will resist damage. Despite its strength, the kayak manages to be lightweight. This means that you will not need to strain yourself loads to carry it from your vehicle to the water.
- High pressure: This inflatable kayak is high pressure. Therefore, it is easy to inflate and deflate. This can save you precious time, which you can instead spend kayaking.
- Storage space: Do not worry if you have loads of extra gear. This kayak has plenty of space. To tie down all of your equipment, this kayak has been installed with stainless steel d rings.
- Plenty of accessories: When buying this product, you are not just paying for the kayak. You are also paying for the additional kit, such as a convenient carry bag, 2 paddles, a pump for inflation, and a useful pressure gauge.
- Lack of back support for tall people: If you are quite tall, you may find that the seats on the kayak do not offer sufficient back support. If this is the case, you may want to consider replacing the seats with something that provides more support.
Also Available At
This hardshell kayak is ideal for those who want something more robust than their standard kayak.
It comes with a high-quality construction that ensures durability. It also features a wide beam which allows for stability while moving through the water. It is made from polyethylene plastic, making it lightweight.
It can hold up to 500 lbs, making it a very strong product. Though this is the case, it is better used by men who weigh between 180 and 200 pounds.
This will allow you to accommodate any extra equipment that you need to bring.
As a tandem kayak, it is made to be used by two people. If you are using this for one person instead of two, the kayak will be better suited to men who weigh over 200 lbs.
- Awesome aesthetic: This recreational kayak features a unique design that looks super cool. You can select from three eye-catching colors, namely blue, green, or orange. Our favorite is the blue version as it is reminiscent of the waters in which you ride.
- Center seat: The middle seat has been designed for kids. As a result, this is a great vessel for relaxing and exploring as a family. If you do not have kids, you can use this area to store whatever equipment you need.
- High-density polyethylene: This strong and durable material will ensure that the kayak is not easily damaged.
- EVA padded seats: For comfort, these luxurious seats have been padded with EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate). Combined with high back support, you will be able to sit comfortably in these seats for hours on end.
- Fishing rod holders: This feature is perfect for fans of fishing. It also comes with other innovative storage solutions, such as a dry storage compartment and paddle holders.
- Expensive: Compared to some other kayaks on the market, this Driftsun Teton product has a considerably higher price. This is because it has lots of great features that will contribute to its expense. Consequently, this kayak will only be suited to people who are happy to spend more money on their kayak. Luckily, there are some more affordable options on this list for people with more narrow budgets.
Also Available At
Up next, we have the Pelican Sentinel 100X Sit On Top Kayak. The first thing that you should know about this model is that it is perhaps the most popular sit-on-top model out there.
The second thing that you should know is that it is built to withstand harsh weather conditions.
It is constructed from UV-resistant materials that make it highly durable. This means that it will last longer than your average kayak.
The third thing that you should know when purchasing this model is that it offers plenty of space for all your gear. Plus, with a maximum weight capacity of 275 lbs, it is well-suited to bigger guys.
- Stunning storage: The kayak has been fitted with a removable compartment for storage, dubbed the ExoPak. As a result, you can choose whether you want to use it or not. This space comes with rod holders. There is also a smartphone holder, meaning that you can protect your phone and access it whenever you need it.
- Multi-chine bottom: This flat bottom will add to the kayak's stability.
- Cool colors: This kayak not only rides smoothly but also has a stylish look. It has a faded black and green aesthetic that will be eye-catching when you are kayaking.
- X-Ram materials: This kayak has been constructed from sturdy materials and is super convenient to clean.
- Costly: Akin to the previous product, the Pelican Sentinel is sold at the higher end of the price range for kayaks. Therefore, you will only want to buy the kayak if you are sure that you are going to use it a lot. Otherwise, you may not be able to justify the cost.
Also Available At
The next kayak on our list is the Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-person kayak. These kayaks come with a number of useful features.
For example, they have a convenient backpack system that we really adore. They also have a large storage area that will help you keep everything organized.
Furthermore, the kayak has a comfortable seating system that makes paddling easier and more enjoyable.
Aside from this, we like how straightforward it is to inflate and deflate this product. One of the problems with inflatable kayaks is that they can often take a long time to set up.
Fortunately, this is not the case with this Sevylor product. Moreover, its weight capacity of 400 lbs is acceptable for a bigger gentleman and their luggage.
- Setup in just 5-minutes: Giving you more time to kayak, this product can be set up in only 5 minutes. This impressive time is much faster than most other inflatable fishing kayaks. You will not need to spend ages inflating this kayak.
- Multiple chambers: There is more than just one chamber when it comes to this kayak. In the rare event that one chamber is punctured or damaged, you can rely on this other chamber to get you safely back to land.
- Tarpaulin bottom: As mentioned above, it is rare for this kayak to be damaged. This is partially due to the tarpaulin bottom, which resists puncturing.
- Backpack system: This backpack turns into a comfortable seat. This convenient storage solution makes folding up the kayak extremely easy.
- User-friendly features: Features, such as a cup holder and a foot-rest, make this kayak feel luxurious and incredibly user-friendly.
- Poor tracking: A common complaint with this product is that it has insufficient tracking. We noticed this too. This can make it difficult to use the kayak as it will be harder to determine what direction you want it to go in. As a result, this kayak will be better suited to people with more experience.
Also Available At
Last but not least, the Intex Challenger is another great kayak for big guys. You may have noticed that this is the second Intex product on the list.
This is because it is one of the leading brands in the industry, having developed a positive reputation for its high-quality products. This kayak is the exact same.
It has all the same features as the previous model, including a spacious cockpit, an adjustable seat, and a convenient storage compartment.
However, it does offer some extra benefits that the previous model did not include. For instance, it has a larger cockpit.
The 400 lbs capacity is designed for two people, meaning that it can support quite a lot of weight.
- Bold design: This kayak comes in a bright green and blue color scheme. This not only looks super stylish, but it will result in you being hard to miss.
- High-performing pump: This pump has outstanding output. Consequently, the kayak will be super convenient to set up.
- Tough vinyl: Made from powerful vinyl, this kayak will not be easily pierced.
- Inflatable seats: These seat designs can be removed or adjusted for your convenience.
- Weak paddles: This kayak comes with paddles. Though they are convenient and lightweight, they are not the strongest of paddles. As a result, they may be ill-suited to rough water.
Also Available At
We hope that the product suggestions above will have given you a better understanding of what makes a good kayak for big guys.
Hopefully, you will now be able to recognize the primary advantages and disadvantages of some leading products in the market. This will mean that you are in a more advantageous position to start shopping for a kayak.
On the other hand, you should be warned that shopping for the right kayak can actually be considerably more difficult than you may have originally thought. This is because there are numerous factors that you will need to consider.
These factors will influence whether a product is suitable for you. To make your shopping experience as effortless as possible, we have highlighted some of the most important factors that you must heed. Please bear them in mind as you start shopping.
The first factor that you will need to consider is the size of the kayak. You will notice that many kayaks come in different sizes.
Though this can mean that there is a kayak out there for all body sizes, it can make it tough to find the one that is right for you. This factor will be especially important for tall people to consider, as it will affect whether you can fit into a kayak.
Perhaps one of the most important features is the price of the kayak. This is because they come in a range of prices.
For some high-end kayaks, you will need to spend a few hundred or even a thousand dollars. As a result, they can be quite costly investments.
If you are shopping with a limited budget, the number of kayaks that you can buy will be limited. You may need to filter your results when you are shopping online to limit your results.
This can be done by shopping from the lowest-priced product to the highest. You may want to avoid some of the more expensive models on this list if you have a tight budget.
However, you should bear in mind that cheaper models are likely to be less advanced. The thing to remember is that there are plenty of budget-friendly options for you.
To avoid overspending, we strongly urge you to think about how much money you are willing to spend on your kayak.
Next, you will also need to take into account the weight limit of a kayak. The weight limit should be listed in a product's online description. This will let you know how much a kayak is capable of supporting.
This figure will impact how much equipment you can bring, the number of people who can fit on a vessel, and whether the kayak is right for your body.
To be blunt, we urge you to bear this in mind if you are quite a heavy person. You should pay serious attention to the weight capacity.
If you load your kayak with too much weight, you risk capsizing it. This can also limit the maneuverability of a kayak, making it difficult to steer.
Another factor that can affect your enjoyment is the sturdiness of the kayak. This is because it will affect how long-lasting the product is. Ideally, kayaks should be made from sturdy materials. Otherwise, they could break easily.
If your kayak is punctured easily, you could be in trouble. To avoid this, you should research how durable a kayak is before using it.
This will involve researching what materials have been used in the construction. Fortunately, all the kayaks on this list are made to be durable.
While this may not be the most important of factors, the look of a kayak may impact how much you enjoy it. They come in a range of colors and looks.
Having an eye-catching kayak will not only look awesome, but it can increase your visibility. Thus, it also acts as a safety precaution. To find the right look for you, you should consider what color or style you want your kayak to be before buying it.
Storage is important on a kayak. After all, kayaks with more storage solutions will enable you to hold more items.
Meanwhile, kayaks with minimal storage will not let you hold much gear. This will especially be a downside if you use your kayak for fishing. This is because the hobby requires a lot of equipment.
You may want specific storage solutions, such as fishing rod holders, cup holders, or a space to keep your possessions dry.
The final consideration is comfort. This will be especially crucial if you plan on using your kayak for hours on end. You will need to secure a kayak that is comfortable. This may include padded seats.
Ideally, the seats should be adjustable. This may be of particular interest to tall men, as you will need plenty of leg space and back support.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Do I Need?
This depends on how big you are. However, we recommend that you go for a kayak that suits your height.
For instance, a small boat might be ideal for someone who stands at just 5 feet tall. On the other hand, a large boat might be better suited for someone who stands at 6 feet tall.
How Many People Can Sit On A Kayak?
This will depend on the type of kayak you choose. Kayaks tend to be designed for a certain number of people. This will be determined by the number of seats and the maximum weight capacity.